- 1 What is the white tailed deer common name?
- 2 What is the correct way to write the scientific name for the whitetail deer?
- 3 What Kingdom is the whitetail deer in?
- 4 Where do deer live in the woods?
- 5 What eats a deer?
- 6 What is deer running called?
- 7 Can deer see in the dark?
- 8 Which state has the most deer?
- 9 Why do deer have white bums?
- 10 What is the lifespan of deer?
- 11 Is a deer male or female?
- 12 What is the classification of a deer?
What is the white tailed deer common name?
Common Name. The white tailed deer ( Odocoileus virginianus ) is the most abundant and the most widely visible large North American land mammal.
What is the correct way to write the scientific name for the whitetail deer?
Scientific Name: Odocoileus virginianus.
What Kingdom is the whitetail deer in?
The adult male deer is called a stag and may have antlers growing from its head. The female deer is called a doe and a young deer is called a fawn.
Where do deer live in the woods?
Deer often sleep close to the trunks of pine trees to maximize the cover and shelter they provide. Dense concentrations of pine trees and other coniferous trees are particularly popular with deer. Many deer may live in relatively close proximity amongst particularly dense forests of coniferous trees.
What eats a deer?
Many animals eat deer, so deer are prey. Since deer do not eat animals, they are not predators. Predators that eat deer include the coyote, bobcat, cougar, wild dogs and humans.
What is deer running called?
Deer move in several ways: walking, trotting, galloping and swimming. When walking, a deer’s stride is about 18 inches between steps. At a walking pace, deer cover three to four miles per hour. Trotting deer move faster, about 10 to 12 mph.
Can deer see in the dark?
Deer have excellent night vision, thanks to eyes with a high concentration of rods, an oval pupal that acts like an aperture on a camera, and a layer of tissue that acts like a mirror and magnifies light. (This tissue, called the tapetum lucidum, is why their eyes glow when you shine a light on them in the dark.)
Which state has the most deer?
According to a 2015 deer population estimate by North American Whitetail magazine, here are the states with the largest deer populations:
- Texas: Estimated population of 4 million.
- Alabama: Estimated population of 1.8 million.
- Mississippi: Estimated population of 1.8 million.
- Missouri: Estimated population of 1.3 million.
Why do deer have white bums?
No white bum = better camouflage. White bum = seen by predators/cyclists but better chance of getting away.
What is the lifespan of deer?
Most white-tailed deer live about 2 to 3 years. Maximum life span in the wild is 20 years but few live past 10 years old.
Is a deer male or female?
While male deer are called bucks, the females are known as does, and they are distinct both physically and behaviorally. Does live differently than males do, and they take a more hands-on approach to parenting their young, known as fawns.
What is the classification of a deer?