- 1 What is the best 308 bullet for deer hunting?
- 2 Is a 308 overkill a whitetail deer?
- 3 Is 308 good for whitetail?
- 4 What grain bullet should I use for 308?
- 5 What is the best load for a 308?
- 6 What animals can be hunted with 308?
- 7 Why is the 308 so popular?
- 8 What is the best deer rifle caliber?
- 9 Is 308 big enough for elk?
- 10 Is a 308 or 30-06 More Powerful?
- 11 Is a 308 more powerful than a 270?
- 12 Will a 308 stop a grizzly bear?
- 13 Is.308 the same as 7.62 x51mm?
What is the best 308 bullet for deer hunting?
Top 7 Deer Bullets for the. 308 Win.
- Barnes 130-grain TSX BT. Among the “gold-standard” combinations for deer hunting is the.
- Hornady 150-grain SST. The Hornady.
- Sierra 150-grain GameKing SBT.
- Hornady 150-grain GMX.
- Swift 150-grain Scirocco/Scirocco II.
- Nosler 165-grain Partition.
- Norma 165-grain Oryx.
Is a 308 overkill a whitetail deer?
These calibers aren’t “overkill” as long as you can put shots on target. But an afternoon of practice at the range with a. 308 Win. will always be less comfortable than with a 6.5 Creedmoor. These medium-sized calibers are more than capable of taking down deer.
Is 308 good for whitetail?
308 Winchester is a good caliber for hunting deer, pronghorn, elk, moose and bear. 308 Winchester will usually tell stories of how well the caliber does as a sniper rifle out to 700 yards and sometimes beyond.
What grain bullet should I use for 308?
308 made its reputation as a deadly-reliable medium game killer with bullet weights from 150 to 180 grains. The hunter armed with a. 308 with quality optics and loaded with good factory ammo or hand-loads in the 150 – 180 grain range, is ready for any medium to large non-dangerous game in the world.
What is the best load for a 308?
The 6 Best Big-Game Loads for the. 308 Winchester
- Remington Core-Lokt 180-grain PSP RN. This load hits hard and makes a big hole.
- Hornady Precision Hunter 178-grain ELD-X.
- Barnes Vor-TX Tipped Triple Shock (TTSX) 150-grain.
- Federal Fusion 150-grain MSR.
- Hornady Custom Lite 125-grain SST.
- Nosler Custom 165-grain AccuBond.
What animals can be hunted with 308?
308 is routinely used for whitetail and mule deer, black bear, caribou, pronghorn, wild hogs, and elk. It is also usable on moose if you need it to be and with the right loads. The. 308 is also a popular hunting caliber in other continents such as South America, Europe, and Africa.
Why is the 308 so popular?
308 is a great target shooting cartridge because for a few reasons: – It’s already designed for targeting. – It’s very forgiving of damage and temperature extremes. – It can accurately hit targets up to 1000 yards away (depending on bullet weight).
What is the best deer rifle caliber?
Best Caliber for Deer Hunting
- 7mm-08 Remington.
- 280 Remington.
- 7mm Remington Magnum.
- 30-30 Winchester.
- 308 Winchester.
- 300 Winchester Magnum.
- You might be surprised by the number of hunters that use the 300 as their primary deer rifle. An exceptional round for long range, it gives no quarter in performance on whitetail.
Is 308 big enough for elk?
308 is inadequate for elk at any range. But the extra velocity of the magnum only lasts about 100 yards. By the time a factory-loaded 180-grain spitzer travels 100 yards, it’s down to around 2,700 fps. 300 Winchester, all of his elk have gone down at least 100 yards quicker than those shot with non-magnum.
Is a 308 or 30-06 More Powerful?
Both cartridges use the same. 308 ″ diameter bullets, and both have a case capacity large enough to push those bullets to sensible, useable velocities. 30-06 pointed out the slight velocity advantage that the larger case offers, and how it handles the heavier bullets so much better.
Is a 308 more powerful than a 270?
270 Winchester have a higher ballistic coefficient than the larger diameter bullets of the same weight from the. 308 Winchester. However, the. 308 Winchester can use heavier bullets than.
Will a 308 stop a grizzly bear?
Ideal Heavy Rifles for Bear Protection While big bore rifles are ideal, even a. 308 will work. The velocity, penetration, and damage will be head and shoulders above any handgun as long as you pick some good bonded or monolithic bullets like Federal Trophy Bonded or Barnes TSX.
Is.308 the same as 7.62 x51mm?
308 vs 7.62 NATO: These two common cartridges may seem the same, but they’re not identical. While there are quite a few different. 30 caliber rounds referred to as “. 308 Winchester and 7.62x51mm NATO cartridges.