- 1 What’s the best 308 ammo for deer hunting?
- 2 What grain bullet should I use for 308?
- 3 What is the best grain bullet for whitetail deer?
- 4 How good is a 308 for deer hunting?
- 5 Is 308 FMJ good for hunting?
- 6 Is.308 the same as 7.62 x51mm?
- 7 Is a 308 or 270 more powerful?
- 8 What’s the best barrel length for a 308?
- 9 Is a 308 overkill a deer?
- 10 What grain bullet should I use for deer?
- 11 What caliber has killed the most deer?
- 12 What is the best deer rifle caliber?
- 13 Is a 308 or 30-06 More Powerful?
- 14 Why is the 308 so popular?
- 15 Will a 308 stop a grizzly bear?
What’s the best 308 ammo for deer hunting?
The 6 Best Big-Game Loads for the. 308 Winchester
- Remington Core-Lokt 180-grain PSP RN. This load hits hard and makes a big hole.
- Hornady Precision Hunter 178-grain ELD-X.
- Barnes Vor-TX Tipped Triple Shock (TTSX) 150-grain.
- Federal Fusion 150-grain MSR.
- Hornady Custom Lite 125-grain SST.
- Nosler Custom 165-grain AccuBond.
What grain bullet should I use for 308?
308 made its reputation as a deadly-reliable medium game killer with bullet weights from 150 to 180 grains. The hunter armed with a. 308 with quality optics and loaded with good factory ammo or hand-loads in the 150 – 180 grain range, is ready for any medium to large non-dangerous game in the world.
What is the best grain bullet for whitetail deer?
Eight Great Deer Bullets
- Swift Scirocco. Remington loads the Swift Scirocco in its Premier line.
- Swift A-Frame. Swift sells both Scirocco and A-Frame bullets for handloaders and loads them in their High-Grade ammunition.
- Nosler Partition.
- Nosler AccuBond and Ballistic Tip.
- Hornady SST.
- Barnes TSX.
- Browning BXR.
How good is a 308 for deer hunting?
The. 308 Winchester certainly has enough energy to kill deer, pronghorn, elk, moose and bear out to 300 yards, but the bullet drops fast and it’s trajectory looks like a bell shaped curve by 500 yards. That would be a pretty doable shot out to 300 yards for the. 308 Winchester.
Is 308 FMJ good for hunting?
FMJ”s are good for ‘breaking’ shots and are pretty piss poor for soft target shots (such as through the lungs/heart). If your friend intends to hunt with a. 308, ask him to study a deer’s skeleton to find out where to place his shoulder shot. If he is head shooting deer/hogs, a FMJ will work just fine.
Is.308 the same as 7.62 x51mm?
308 vs 7.62 NATO: These two common cartridges may seem the same, but they’re not identical. While there are quite a few different. 30 caliber rounds referred to as “. 308 Winchester and 7.62x51mm NATO cartridges.
Is a 308 or 270 more powerful?
270 Winchester have a higher ballistic coefficient than the larger diameter bullets of the same weight from the. 308 Winchester. However, the. 308 Winchester can use heavier bullets than.
What’s the best barrel length for a 308?
Our experience has shown that for a. 308 caliber tactical rifle with the overall rifle weight and shooting distances mentioned earlier, a barrel of 24-27″ is optimum in one of the fairly heavy contours we discussed. Closer ranges or other considerations might dictate a shorter barrel.
Is a 308 overkill a deer?
These calibers aren’t “overkill” as long as you can put shots on target. But an afternoon of practice at the range with a. 308 Win. will always be less comfortable than with a 6.5 Creedmoor. These medium-sized calibers are more than capable of taking down deer.
What grain bullet should I use for deer?
A 130-grain. 308 X-Bullet starts out faster, and on whitetails typically carries at least 95 percent of its weight all the way to the end.
What caliber has killed the most deer?
30-06 is America’s—and the world’s—most popular hunting caliber. In my estimation it would not take many 1-million deer years to top any numbers the 30-30 put up during much leaner times.
What is the best deer rifle caliber?
Best Caliber for Deer Hunting
- 7mm-08 Remington.
- 280 Remington.
- 7mm Remington Magnum.
- 30-30 Winchester.
- 308 Winchester.
- 300 Winchester Magnum.
- You might be surprised by the number of hunters that use the 300 as their primary deer rifle. An exceptional round for long range, it gives no quarter in performance on whitetail.
Is a 308 or 30-06 More Powerful?
Both cartridges use the same. 308 ″ diameter bullets, and both have a case capacity large enough to push those bullets to sensible, useable velocities. 30-06 pointed out the slight velocity advantage that the larger case offers, and how it handles the heavier bullets so much better.
Why is the 308 so popular?
308 is a great target shooting cartridge because for a few reasons: – It’s already designed for targeting. – It’s very forgiving of damage and temperature extremes. – It can accurately hit targets up to 1000 yards away (depending on bullet weight).
Will a 308 stop a grizzly bear?
Ideal Heavy Rifles for Bear Protection While big bore rifles are ideal, even a. 308 will work. The velocity, penetration, and damage will be head and shoulders above any handgun as long as you pick some good bonded or monolithic bullets like Federal Trophy Bonded or Barnes TSX.